Sunday, June 30, 2013

Cupcakes, Suburbia, Courage Bracelets, and Segways: My Week with Charis

June 20th. The day had finally arrived that I would be reunited with my best YES friend, Charis. We hadn't seen each other since way back in March at the IPSE, but over the course of a few months we had grown to be pretty close and decided I needed to take a visit. My plane touched down in Reagan International Airport and the excitement started to build. I sprinted. Ran. Skipped. All the way over to her. You could say our reunion was a good one but, that would be an understatement. 


I could probably write a novel about our week together. However, I think these videos do more justice. Our first day was spent prancing in the river and being nature enthusiasts. 


And on another day, we went for a segway adventure in Annapolis. Now, I don't know if any of you have ever rode segways but, they aren't for sissies. Charis and I OWNED those Segways. Our first hour was spent getting a historical tour of the area. We visited the Naval Academy, the Governor's Mansion, haunted mansions, and the Thurgood Marshal Monument. Little known fact here, it is nearly impossible to fall off of a segway. In fact, our tour guide had only ever had one person fall off in all her years working there. Well, in an attempt to warn me that a car was coming, Charis took quite the spill. Yep. She was the unfortunate one to fall off of the segway. Her injuries included two very scraped knees, a scratch on her chin and elbow, and a few bruises. Thankfully, she survived. After the tour, we were given an hour of free time to explore the rest of Annapolis. It was an excellent day.

Charis and I on the docks of Annapolis
In front of the Naval Academy

We also spent a day in Baltimore Inner Harbor. Baltimore was beautiful. We went to a candy store and of course, the candy addict I am had to spend ten dollars on candy. It was heavenly. We walked around the water, visited a few shops, and grabbed some lunch from a cute little restaurant.
So Marylanders have this strange obsession with this Old Bay seasoning stuff. I really don't understand the fascination.
That candy store... It was prodigious. 

Down by the water


And finally, our last day together was spent adventuring/navigating/exploring D.C. All. By. Ourselves. As two girls who are spending their upcoming years in cities larger than NYC, we figured it would be a good idea to learn how to navigate these places alone. So. We did.

First, we found ourselves trapped in the Metro. Thankfully, we found a nice man that was willing to help us out. We made our way to the Smithsonian American History Museum. I fell in LOVE with this place. The exhibits were so enthralling and well put together. It was great to see all of the American history I had learned this year in one place. My favorite exhibit was hands down the First Ladies Exhibit that showed all of their inaugural gowns. I was hardcore fangirling those dresses, let me tell ya. After the Smithsonian, we walked all the way over to the Washington Monument, the FDR Monument, and the MLK Jr. Monument. 
Washington Monument


MLK Jr.
After a few monuments, we then thought it would be a good idea to walk to Georgetown just to get my taste of Georgetown Cupcakes. The walk was long, blazing hot, and super sweaty. But let me tell ya, those cupcakes were worth it. 

D.C. Cupcakes at last!

I should be a cupcake model.

Chocolate ganache, lemon zest, salted caramel, and chocolate peanut butter.


And just like that, the best week ever had come and gone. The few days we spent together were so special. And though we may not see each other for another year, and although we will be on separate continents, there is no doubt in my mind that our friendship won't keep on keepin on. So ladies and gentlemen, keep your eyes out for Charis and Mallory. We're coming for you.

P.S. Check out and subscribe to our YouTube vlog.





                                                  






No comments:

Post a Comment